Thought of everything? Our move checklist for starters!
About 3 months before the actual move starts… the move! In fact, it’s a good idea to start preparing a quarter of a year before the big day of the move. Our detailed moving checklist from Butler Umzüge takes you from day X to your happy arrival at home and beyond . We recommend that you adapt the general move checklist to suit you as the first step in your personal move planning.
Checklist move – first preparations
The following small moving checklist refers to your initial preparations three months before you actually move.
Think about the following points 3 months in advance:
- Terminate the old apartment on time (depending on the rental period even more than 3 months in advance)
- Possibly look for new tenants for the old apartment
- Check the rental agreement carefully: Do I have to do painting work in Berlin?
- Sign the rental contract for the new apartment, transfer the deposit
- Have a free conversation with the moving company and book an appointment
- Arrange both apartment handover dates accordingly
Think about the following points 2 months in advance:
- Submit a leave request for the moving day and the time around it
- Organize baby and/or pet sitters for moving day
- If necessary, inform private removal helpers and ask for support
- Start clearing out Berlin, clear out thoroughly
- Calculate moving costs and check finances
- Apply to the city in good time for a Berlin parking ban
- Electricity, water, gas, internet, telephone on and off
Also, consider the following early on:
- Cancel local memberships (e.g. fitness center)
- Make an appointment to read the meter readings
- Possibly carry out the first cosmetic repairs on the old and new apartment
- Inform kindergarten and school or register and deregister children
- Order bulky waste in good time
- Planning the furnishing of the new apartment and ordering new furniture
This makes moving fun
Let us provide you with a no-obligation quote for your move now.
Check list for moving: This is where things get serious!
Time is ticking, the deadline is getting closer. Our moving checklist will help you stay calm in the days and weeks leading up to the actual move . After all, everything has been thought of!
Think about the following points 4 weeks in advance:
- Order enough moving material Berlin
- Pack and label boxes, dismantle furniture
- Provide a box with tools and first aid material
- Obtain and use garbage bags, tape and cushioning material
- Set up a forwarding request at the post office
- Inform all official bodies and friends of the new address
- Commission / initiate painting and craft work
Think about the following points 1 to 2 weeks in advance:
- Use up perishable food supplies
- Provide food for movers
- Defrost and wipe out the refrigerator and freezer
- Confirm appointments for movers and craftsmen
- Install lighting in the new apartment
On moving day, remember the following points:
- Water all plants lightly again
- Have snacks and drinks ready for movers
- Keep the coffee machine ready for use
- Detergents, garbage bags, etc. put down
- Hang up the furniture layout plan in the new apartment
- If necessary, cover floors against dirt and damage
- Instruct movers thoroughly
- Umzugshelfer gründlich einweisen
- Take photos of the staircase and previous damage
Think of the following when the old apartment has been emptied:
- Thoroughly clean the old apartment
- Take pictures of the empty state
- Clean the stairwell from moving dirt
- Write down all meter readings of both apartments
After the move is complete, remember:
- Registration at the registration office & at the road traffic office (car)
- Change nameplates on doors and mailboxes
- Assembling furniture, unpacking boxes
- Handover of the old apartment, sign the key
- Reclaim rental deposit from old landlord
- Set aside cost receipts for the annual wage tax adjustment
- Planning a housewarming party ???? Must be so much fun!
Relocation Checklist Offices: These authorities want your address
The move checklist offices is still missing, for all authorities that urgently need to be informed. We do not claim to be complete here, but list the most important offices.
- Registration office
- Road Traffic Office
- Tax office
- Bafög office for students
- Child benefit office (family fund) with parents
- Employment agency / job center for the unemployed
- Pension fund (even before retirement)
Don’t forget to let your insurance company know, as well as the bank and building society. The contribution service also expects a message from you, but will also be informed by the residents’ registration office.
Moving seniors checklist: special features for older people
Basically, the checklist for seniors looks the same as that for younger people. Depending on your state of health, there are a few other points that need to be considered. Older people usually need more practical help , for example our packing and unpacking service Berlin and our assembly service and connection service Berlin.
If you need to make adjustments to your living space for people in need of care, you should submit an application to the care insurance fund : you normally have corresponding claims there. Make sure that the new apartment is furnished in a way that is suitable for seniors , for example, install appropriate grab rails and other aids in the bathroom. Make sure there is a suitable parking space for the rollator and book a moving company with the appropriate sensitivity that accompanies seniors sensitively – like Butler Umzüge.
Moving checklist PDF: Download for your guide
Download your move checklist PDF from us. Adapt the guide to your personal move by adding or deleting individual points . In this way you always stay on course towards satisfaction, three months beforehand as well as in the period afterwards. You can also arrange a free appointment with our moving consultant for even more support. Contact us by email, by phone using the digital contact form on our site: we are always at your service!